Welcome Guest, we hope you find what you're looking for. Take a few seconds to register for an account and participate in the conversations!
GM W-Body.com
October 22, 2017, 03:47:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact a staff member?  View the STAFF LIST

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  

Random member quote: voted no, because you haven't trolled me yet. And I haven't had the desire yet to fucking kill you
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author *Topic: Snow tires  (Read 6461 times)
Active members:
SofaKingWeToddDid(2) LownSlow(2) goldenregal(1) 19Cutlass94(1) sl3196(1) cutty(1)

ALL FORUMS ARE OFF-LIMITS FOR 0-POST USERS
CLICK THE SIGN AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF

sl3196
Chilli Cheese Burrito Baron

Reputation Power: 19
sl3196 has no influence.

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2008, 06:34:21 AM »

Anyone had good experience with certain brand of snow tires?  I'm looking at getting some for the gtp really soon.  My wife has trouble getting around in it and I don't want her getting stuck with my daughter in there. (or by herself haha) But anyways I plan on getting just 2 for now because I can't afford all 4 at the moment.  It says they need to be bought in set of four but has anyone ran with just 2 and experienced problems? Thanks!

2000 Grand Prix GTP

Mods: ZZP 3.4 S/C Pulley, DHP PCM, 1.9 Roller Rockers, Wizaired Intake,3" DP/No cat, U-bend/Res, 180 T-stat
240WHP/320WTQ
1989 Chrysler Lebaron GTS
Headed to rehab...
SofaKingWeToddDid
Z34 Pwner

Reputation Power: 108
SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.

( . Y . )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:25:25 AM »

nah the reason they dont install them two at a time is for financial reasons, the more they sell the more money they make, so theyre gonna try and pawn the concept that the rears need them aswell on you. for me, the best ones ive driven were Pirellis, and... shit i forget the name.. yokahamas.... (but the yokahamas are expensive as fuck) as far as i would be concerened, bring them two wheels off of your car, in another ride. and tell them you want snow tires mounted on them. it shouldnt be a problem when you do it like that.

if theyre being anal about the 4 tires thing, tell them u got two used ones already on it, and need two new ones for the front. (got the wheel from a junk yard or whatever.)

LownSlow

Reputation Power: 20
LownSlow barely matters.LownSlow barely matters.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 10:31:36 AM »

i've had good luck with the mastercraft snow tires i have on the GP.  the riv only has 2 snowies on the front and the rear likes to slide around a lot (esp. on u-turns haha).  does much better w/ 4 snow tires, but i had just 2 on the old GP and it did alright, just not as good as the "new" GP w/ all 4.  

the thinner you can get, the better they will be in the snow.

98 Buick Regal GS
87 Chevy V10 MTX
19Cutlass94

Reputation Power: 15
19Cutlass94 has no influence.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 03:31:00 PM »

After having snow tires on my car, Ill NEVER buy another set again. If your not driving in snow or something of that sort, they are horrible. Even on wet roads they slip and slide and never get traction. Although in the snow cant complain. If I bought new tires it would be all-seasons. I bought the Dunlop Graspic DR-2's. They are great in the snow, but are horrible everywhere else. IMHO

Jay

1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL
3400 SFI v6 207ci -- 4T60- E
I have aftermarket parts on my car... Many aftermarket parts!
cutty
YAY rust!
n00b

Reputation Power: 2
cutty has no influence.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 03:48:52 PM »

I have 4 hankook winter i-pike's on my cutty, and they are great in snow, wet or dry.

I got them for around $70 a piece at pepboys. I mounted and balanced them myself since I work in a garage.

The Preservation for POS W-bodies Member[/color]
1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL | 3.1L(3100 SFI) 191ci 60? V6; 4T60E

SofaKingWeToddDid
Z34 Pwner

Reputation Power: 108
SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.SofaKingWeToddDid has an aura about them.

( . Y . )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 03:59:25 PM »

i have a set of tires... they have good rubber, i think theyre summer tires... but if youre careful they work just fine... the way i see it, winter tires are a waste of money, if you have it to burn, let er rip. but i wouldnt.

LownSlow

Reputation Power: 20
LownSlow barely matters.LownSlow barely matters.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 12:41:12 AM »

snow tires would def be worth it where you live.  they aren't the best on wet roads as was said, but they're not that bad.

98 Buick Regal GS
87 Chevy V10 MTX
goldenregal
n00b

Reputation Power: 0
goldenregal has no influence.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 11:42:56 PM »

I like Firestone winterforce, they are decent directional snow tires for being cheap. Only downer is that they have a really soft tread compound that is kinda noisy on the highway. (They sound like truck tires) They also cup easily if not balanced. Cooper weather-master st2 is also a good snow tire in my book. Both can be studded.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: